PCOS stands for Polycystic ovary syndrome. PCOS is hormonal disorder common among women of reproductive age. Women with PCOS have infrequent periods or excess androgen levels. This condition may cause even more serious health problems, like infertility, cancer or diabetes and even lead to difficulties with conceiving a baby.
Three factors that increase the possibility of its development.
- Genetic Disposition : A genetic disorder is a disease that is caused by an abnormality in an individual’s DNA.
- Insulin Resistance : When the body produces insulin under conditions of insulin resistance, the cells are resistant to the insulin and are unable to use it as effectively, leading to high blood sugar.
- Inflammation : It is a physical condition in which part of the body becomes reddened, swollen, hot, and often painful,due to injury or infection.
The main problem is that most of the women are unaware of PCOS, even after having it. In a study it was found that around 70% of women having disease doesn’t know about it. Read the given points to know more about the symptoms of this crucial disease.
- The dark hair on your chin is just not a cosmetic problem but also a sign of PCOS. Along with the chin, it cause excess growth of hair in other parts of body : back, arms, chest, abdomen.
- Gaining Weight is the second symptom of this syndrome. Due to hormonal imbalance many patients find it difficult to control the weight.
- Mood Swings is also the common sign of disease. Patients having PCOS deal with severe headache, mood swings and depression.
If you have noticed any of these symptoms, it would be better not to ignore them and go to your doctor. In addition to that, you may consider changing your lifestyle a bit.Just remember to always consult your physician first.